Basics for Selecting your Underground Bunker Location
The world of underground bunkers has slowly become more and more popular and not only in the prepper networks but in general. As many more doomsday scenario’s seem more and more possible people are looking to protect themselves and their families and underground bunkers offer a safe solution to most of the scenario’s in question. There are a lot of companies around that now design and sell great underground bunkers from very basic designs to units with lots of bells and whistles so there is something for everyone.
When or if you decide that an underground bunker may be something that you need to protect you and your family the most important first step is finding a proper location. The location of your underground bunker must meet certain criteria to be as safe and effective as possible. Here is a underground bunker check list of things to consider when finding the perfect location for your underground shelter.
- Easy accessibility by potential users is essential. It is recommended that your bunker location can be reached with in 5 minutes by all potential users.
- No locations that are known to be flood prone.
- Away from extremely large objects that may collapse and cause obstruction like multi-story buildings , large antennas, large electric or light poles, or elevated mechanical equipment.
- Away from areas containing hazardous materials , large fuel concentrations, or any other potential flammable materials.
- Area where proper depth can be achieved. Need to have your bunker as deep as possible to avoid things like flying projectiles and radiation.
- Area which will allow bunker air inlets and emergency exits to extend on several sides into areas which are not potential debris fields.
- Area which supplies some kind of concealment for your bunker.
- An area which allows your bunkers external walls to be against as much ground as possible for maximum support and protection from heat from surrounding soil.
The location for your bunker may not completely meet every single item on this underground bunker checklist. Getting your location to meet as many of the above recommendations as possible should assure you that your bunker will be as effective as possible.
FOr more information about how to properly prepare for a disaster or emergency, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter and check out our Recommended Products to help protect yourself. Enjoy!